Description: Barberry is a greenish bush covered with thin sharp spines. Its fruits are oblong bunches, sourish to taste. The plant is rich in various vitamins and microelements, which makes its use especially beneficial for our body.
Barbaris has found wide application in manufacturing industry. It is used in pharmaceutics, cooking, cosmetology and folk medicine. Use of the plant lies in its rich composition. Alternative medicine offers a lot of medicinal infusions and decoctions of this plant. Healing power of leaves and fruits of barberry makes it possible to cure many diseases, and also support the body with useful components.
Presence of a number of properties is due to rich natural composition of the plant. Absolutely all parts of the plant are enriched with useful substances: its fruits, leaves, bark and rhizome.
Also, fruits of the plant are rich in vitamin C, A, B1, B2, PP and carotene. Among micro- and macro elements there is a huge amount of sodium, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium and phosphorus. Roots of barberry contain great amount of vitamin C and E.
Barberry fruits contain:
- organic acid;
- alkaloids, in particular berberine;
- pectin substances;
- organic acids;
- sugar: glucose, fructose;
- apple acid;
- essential oil;
Leaves of barberry are a powerful antiseptic. They also have anti-inflammatory effect. They contain vitamin E, C, K, acids (malic and citric), resinous and tannic substances, as well as alkaloids. Composition of roots contains 11 kinds of alkaloids. All this allows you to apply all parts of the bush for healing purposes.
Barberry has a number of useful properties. This plant contains in its composition a huge amount of vitamins and microelements, which body needs.
Medicinal properties are contained in all parts of the plant: fruits, leaves, roots, as well as bark.
The plant has the following action:
- anti-cancer, etc.
Presence of a number of useful properties makes it possible to use this plant form treatment of various diseases.
Decoctions and infusions from different parts of barberry are used in treatment of:
- liver, kidney and gallbladder diseases;
- ulcer diseases;
- eye diseases;
- tuberculosis and malaria;
- gastrointestinal diseases;
- hypertension and heart pain;
- uterine bleeding;
- diabetes mellitus;
- poisoning, nausea and vomiting;
- inflammation of respiratory system;
- rheumatism and gout;
- dermatological diseases (psoriasis, eczema, lichen);
- as antitumor therapy, etc.
Berries of barberry help to remove harmful, toxic substances from the body. Also, fruits improve work of digestive tract, increase appetite and normalize digestion. Use of fruits of the plant tuberculosis improves cardiovascular activity.
Barberry leaves are used to prepare decoctions that relieve coughing and sore throat.
Diuretic properties and slight laxative effect can help to reduce and lose weight by several kilograms. The plant struggles with excess body weight and normalizes metabolism in the body.
It is important to note that medicinal properties of barberry are actively used for treatment of oncological diseases. It was proved that berberine in the plant has antitumor effect.
Particularly great is benefit of barberry for health of pregnant women. The plant relieves attacks of nausea and vomiting, which is beneficial for future mother.
Barberry berries normalize work of endocrine and urogenital system. They are also indicated in the period of nervous disorders, stress and emotional shocks.
Root of barberry is used to treat cholecystitis, cholelithiasis and rheumatism.
Despite huge number of positive properties, barberry has a number of contraindications. After all, for some diseases, medicines containing barberry are not worth taking:
- barberry is forbidden to eat for people suffering from cirrhosis of liver and sick with hepatitis;
- strong choleretic effect of broths from barberry can provoke exacerbation in presence of gallstones;
- it is not recommended to use barberry-based drugs for women during pregnancy and breast-feeding;
- in cases of severe bleeding that are associated with age-related hormonal changes in the body (menopause) or miscarriage, it is better to consult a doctor before use. Do not prescribe barbaric therapy to children under the age of twelve;
- barberry significantly reduces blood sugar, so for people with diabetes it is important to use the plant with extreme caution. All other categories of patients need to remember that for preparation of medicinal infusions you can use only ripe berries – green fruits of barberry are poisonous.
In general, the use of medicines based on barberry has proven itself quite well. Therefore, if you do not fall into a risk group, then such therapy can successfully replace expensive medications.
Intoxication with berberine (with overdose) is expressed by diarrhea, vomiting. There are often nasal and renal bleeding, loss of consciousness.